Saturday, July 14, 2007

Wireless Internet

Today Roberto informed me the wireless network was set up and ready to go. Excitedly, I brought my computer over to Roberto and Rosemarie's to set up the computer's wireless. It functioned great, until I got to the door of my apartment (probably 25 feet away from the network device). Like a kick to the butt, the wireless router kicked my computer off the connection. This led to an afternoon filled with moving the wireless router around and trying it with the laptop. No luck.

From there, Roberto turned on his laptop and began walking slowly towards the apartment to see where the connection stopped. The first time, it turned off as soon as he walked in the door. The second time, it lasted into the living room. The third time, it kicked him off as soon as he walked out his door. Who knew wireless was such a temperamental beast?

Roberto suggested we wander around with our laptops to see where the range varied. From there, he and I walked, our eyes transfixed on the green connection bars, like synchronized zombies towards the apartment. I felt like we looked like two aliens walking around and trying to get our antennas the right direction for a good connection. At the same time, the internet kicked us off - kaBAM- as though filling our antennas with white noise. We persisted for some time before finally sitting at the dining room table to read about oil spills off New York and to check e-mail. So much work for a Saturday, we decided to see if we can get a longer cable on Monday so the wireless router reaches closer to the apartment, which, by the way, shares the same walls as the house.

Until further notice, my apartment remains an internet free zone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy,
I love your colorful writing about the Guatemalan times! Hope you're having a great day. Think I'm going to go ride my bike maybe from Hill City to Custer, and see if I can roust Sarah!!
Sandi