Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Jonesing for a Good Micro Brew

Do you ever have those days where all you want is to crack open a brewski, sit down with a sigh, and enjoy the hoppy taste of an IPA? Oh man, on Saturday I was jonesing for a good beer. Tired from staying out late to celebrate my birthday, waking up early for class, and attending yet another brutal session of guilt-ridden God-finding with my 19 year old friends in the religious youth group, all I wanted was to sit down and sip on some cerveza. Saturday was a long day.

As was custom, after the God hour and snack time, the “cool” kats in the youth group decided to head to Applebee’s for some late night snacking. I’m not sure I’m actually one of the cool kids or more like a chaperone, but I hopped into Manuel’s car and we cruised down to Zona Viva. Cervecita was on my mind. In the restaurant, everyone ordered foo-foo shakes except me, the rebel without a cause. I looked at the waiter imploringly and said, “Un Gallo, por favor.”

Fifteen minutes later, out came elegantly shaped glasses full of milky liquid with pineapple-maraschino cherry garnishes on top. I about despaired, had he not heard my urgent request for a beer? But no, up came a waitress with a pint glass and bottle of the Gallo for me. Oh, how I had forgotten that seductive (ahem) color of the Gallo Cerveza. How could I have forgotten its rich, near-water taste! (Alas, where was my beloved 1554 from New Belgium Brewing Company?) Well, when there is little else, even the Gallo tastes good. Maybe not quite as good as Dave’s homebrew or the Pacific Northwest’s microbrews, but still….

Manuel proceeded to tell me about how beer in the US has only 3.5% alcohol and Gallo has 5%. I looked at the light color of the beer and said, “You’ve got to be kidding me. This is 5% alcohol?” At any rate, the following day I looked up the alcohol content of Deschutes brews. I’m proud to say, their beer is nowhere near 3.5%. Oh no, more like 6%. And it’s quality too. Mmm.

If anyone from home is reading this, please after a long, hard day, crack open a New Belgium, MacKenzie River, Deschutes, Missoula Brewing Company, home brew, or any other microbrew and savor that delicious flavor for me. Thank you.

3 comments:

Matto said...

Nancy, you really know how to excite some taste buds. I'll crack a bottle of my favorite NW summer beer: Widmer Brothers' Heffeweizen (sp?). In SD you can't get most microbrews because of some odd state laws, so it is nice to be over the border in WY where good beer roams free over the open plains and mountains.

Nancy said...

Mmmm. I couldn't remember the name of the Widmer Bro's but man, their oatmeal stout is out of this world. Weah. How's interp going, my friend? What's your blog's name again? Please, have another beer for me (for the rest of the year). There's an english pub downtown and so far no one really wants to go. Bummer, I'll have to become my own drinking partner. How lame.

Anonymous said...

Had a Fat Tire last night!! Next time Jon and I will give you a cheers! Miss you! -Esther