Saturday, July 7, 2007

Coffee

In the airport in Chicago, I stopped at a Starbucks to savor the delicious flavors of a latte one last time. As I sipped the espresso flavored milk I thought sadly, "goodbye coffee until next year." The reason for this depressing thought was the result of living in Ecuador for a year. Even though Ecuador grows some coffee, everyone drank NesCafe. NesCafe, from Nesquick, is instant coffee that Ecuadorians would shovel into their hot milk or water and drink as "coffee". After living in Moscow for the last 3 years, I have grown used to good old One World Cafe and their delicious lattes. The thought to be without a coffee shop to hang out in was pretty depressing that day in Chicago. Then, I remembered that Guatemala produces coffee!

Coffee is truly everywhere here. There are coffee shops at the university and down the street from my house. Coffee shops where they serve real coffee, espresso, lattes, every kind of coffee I could imagine! Coffee plantations grace the areas around the city, where I can go and learn how it's grown.

It's incredibly exciting to have a cup of Joe these days. Yum. Straight from the source.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Coffee everywhere? Ahhhhh!