Friday, September 28, 2007

Te Ves Más Gorda…

While leaving my house yesterday, I ran into Ana, my neighbor. We exchanged the typical pleasantries, a kiss on the cheek, how are you, nice to see you, yadda yadda. As we parted, Ana said to me, “Nancy, te ves más gorda! You look fatter!” I looked at her aghast. I had just come back from Peten, where it’s so hot it saps my hunger away, and I had just worked out. Man! What the heck! Unsure of what to say I remarked that I hoped I hadn’t gained weight. She replied saying, “No, te ves más contenta. You look happier.” I thanked her and walked away.

Later, at school I told this story to Beberly, who said that looking fatter is a compliment in Guatemala. It means, “you looking good, girlfriend!” I just looked at Beberly and started to laugh. I explained that in the USA saying you’re looking fat is quite an insult, a kick in the bootie. Ouch! There, we say, wow, have you lost weight?, oh you look slim and healthy. None of this looking fat nonsense!

That comment, paired with my 15 evangelical taxi ride where I was preached to the entire ride, made my day. There’s nothing like being told your fat and then getting lectured that doing good deeds is not what God intends because all that does is boosts one’s ego. I wonder what Jesus would say about that….

1 comment:

Marion said...

Well, I must say that Humanist Unitarians tend to believe that it is people who make the difference! We are respoinsible for goodness and meaning in the world. Maybe those who need to subscribe to "A Higher Power" controlling eveything (are we then puppets!?) think this is egotistical, but at least we are not superstitious and attribute "bad luck" or "good fortune" to outside forces. Then, too "Naturalistic Theists" think that "...the powers generally attributed to a supernatural deity are inherent in the natural world, which therefore elicits my respect and devotion."
Too, I have found that the louder a person insists on something the more likely he/she is to do the opposite. (i.e. the "esteemed" senator from Idaho.)

So, I bet you are beaming and blooming as you settle into your life in Guatemala. Nice for me to know. Hugs.