Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Earthly Spirits

Lura came to me as if she were a guardian angel emerging out of the very stones of Tikal. Her small, hobbitish frame moved her barefooted to the bench where I was sitting. We both sat, eating our breakfasts under the cool shade near Temple II and began to talk. She came to Tikal to live it, not to see it. For her, her ancient being thrives in these limestone and jungle shrouded temples. She has returned home to the ancient spirits and voices of Tikal. "They've only gone to another dimension," she stated sagely as her deep brown eyes peacefully examined the Gran Plaza.

Her presence filled me with peace, tranquility, and joy in a day full of mixed emotions, where thoughts were weighing heavily in my mind. She reminds me that being alone is really just time to find the inner Nancy, my soul, which is always with me. Before she left, she stood her tiny four foot frame up and gave me a heart to heart hug to connect our spirits and allow them to call each other home. It was the most filling, solid, connecting hug I have felt in my life.

"You are young, Nancy," Luna exclaimed, "You have time yet to see life's wonders. You are free to explore." She left me with the remnants of the soul-filling embrace and asked for me to find my Nancy soul.

I bit into one of the sweet, deeply purple grapes she gave me and felt the warm juice burst over my tongue. This half our encounter with Lura was one of the most profound of my life. She reminded me of other sacred souls connected powerfully with the earth. Of Fasoon and Susan and their easy connections to auras. Of my grandmother's union with the planet.

Watching Lura walk towards Temple IV, I hear all these women's messages echoed in her footsteps. The messages are all so familiar as they sing out to me, "You are strong. You are brave. You are beautiful. You are you." I hear them calling me to allow my inner self to shine. Tears pricked my eyes as the messaged repeated itself in my ears, "You are strong. You are brave. You are beautiful. You are you." I watched Lura go until she disappeared from view, into another dimension. And I prayed for our inner selves, for my grandmother, for our world. I gave thanks for the gentle reminders of peace, the hidden surprises of joy, that are found in an embrace, a darkly sweet grape, and a half hour interaction with a kindred soul.

No comments: