Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Palacio de las Ventanas

From behind, the Palacio de las Ventanas, or Window Palace, reminded me of a large military building. I always stop and wonder at the white, moss-covered building, but never have approached it. Today, walking past it, I decided it was time to visit. The little used path led to the front of the palace, where perched on its large foundation, sat the impressive, multi-windowed building. I could tell it was a palace, not a military structure as soon as I approached its form. I dropped my backpack at the base and scrambled up the ancient stairs to the building.

A dark entrance summoned me as my eyes leveled with the floor of the building. I walked under the rotting lintel into a room illuminated by a rectangular window. The light shown green from the moss and mold growing on the cool limestone walls. I walked quietly through the room and crossed into an increasingly dark, eerie space. The cave-like walls closed in around me as, like a moth, I sought the light. The corridor bent and sent me out into a shining, wall-less space overlooking the jungle.

Slowly, I walked from room to room, entering the shadows, emerging into the light, as I explored the Mayan palace. Again and again I crossed the antiquated doorways to see where the passages led me. Bats swooped and fluttered out of the building as I disturbed their daily rest. One flew directly over me, its wings breaking the solemn silence. I shrieked, further shocking the bats from their slumber. They flitted around my head in a frenzy to escape the light and noise.

It was enough for me, I quick footed it out of the dark interior and back into the light. Slipping over the slimy limestone covering the palace's floors, I hurried towards the stairs to leave the palace behind. It stood, ever oppressive, ever silent, ever eerily still behind me. I pulled on my backpack and moved back into the cool jungle, leaving the Palacio, its cave-like presence, and its powerful form behind me.

No comments: