Monday, March 31, 2008

White Out

I woke to the sounds of a snowplow grating against the pavement. It jarred me awake and I realized snow must have fallen overnight. Outside, the world was wintery white. Snow flakes flurried across the sky, yanked hither and thither by the blustery wind. It looked utterly cold.

In the kitchen, I heated up some oatmeal, hoping it would stick to my ribs and keep me warm. Then, on went the NPS layers and the flat hat and out into the cold I ventured. Three inches of snow lay on the walk and I shoveled it quickly before heading to the Visitor Center. The entire sky and earth were white. Imposing Mt Everts had vanished in the blowing snow, leaving only a solid white presence in the foreground.

I trudged down the drive to the VC, snow and wind blowing me off course. Inside was a haven of warmth that lasted only briefly as I picked up the flag and headed to the flagpole. Sepulcher Mountain and the Absarokas had also disappeared into the hazy white of the blizzard. This was a veritable white out. I couldn't even see the Terraces, a mere quarter mile away. I could hardly see the hotel. The flag tugged and fluttered with excitement at being hoisted high into the air. My fingers and ears grew numb with the wintery exposure as I turned to salute the flag.

Inside, a ranger called with the road report. Zero visibility, blizzard conditions, white out. It's a good day to stay inside, I thought as I watched snow drifts form outside. It was a good day for hibernation, for hot chocolate, for hot springs, and anything geared towards hunkering down. Although the days are long and the month say it's spring, it feels like January here. It may almost be April, but it's winter here in Wonderland.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like Yellowstone during our visit last spring...one pretty interesting camping trip in the snow :-)

I remember how heartbroken you were last year not going to Yellowstone...you sure sound very happy to be back this year! Would love to enjoy one of your interpretive programs in the N.P. one day :-)
Hugs and kisses from Iceland,
Árdís and co.

Nancy said...

I'm very glad to be back this year! Hopefully I can make it to Iceland one of these days too! I'd love to see your glacier.

Anonymous said...

You are very welcome anytime Nancy! I have a great view of the glacier thru my windows :-)
Adios,
Árdís

Anonymous said...

I was suggested this website by means of my cousin. I'm no longer positive whether this publish is written via him as nobody else recognise such precise about my difficulty. You're incredible!
Thanks!

Have a look at my web site: weight control