Sunday, March 30, 2008

Coming Home to Yellowstone

My heart is glad to once again be home. Not home home like Iowa, but home like heart-happy home. I wake each morning to Yellowstone, each day to a new adventure, each minute to the splendor that is this wonderland. My home is in historic Fort Yellowstone. I can imagine what life was like at the Fort as our first park rangers, the US Cavalry, lived to protect this amazing place. When I look outside it is to spectacular views of Sepulcher Mountain, the beautiful Absaroka Range, snow-covered Capital Hill, shining orange travertine terraces, and stunning Mt. Everts.

Yellowstone is my cathedral. Here I feel at peace and content to discover the endless pleasures, joys, and mysteries of the Park. I find solace in its mountains. Seeing the great bison, elk, big horned sheep, and pronghorns remind me of my love for the West, my love for Yellowstone. I am surrounded by wildness and beauty. It is what I had craved for for so long in Guatemala. I had yearned for Yellowstone.

Rapidly, like melting snow in the spring, I can feel myself returning to a gentle balance after nearly a year of stress, turmoil, loneliness, and isolation in Guatemala. The constant malcontent that threw me off balance in Guatemala is gone and I feel my normal self returned. I am jubulent. I am heart and soul happy. Yellowstone has blessed me anew.

No comments: