Monday, February 11, 2008

Confrontations and Repeat Conversations

As a white, red-headed foreigner living in Guatemala, it’s hard not to feel like everyone targets you. It’s made even worse by the inaccurate stereotype that everyone who is white and a foreigner is obviously rich. As Hanne says, compared to the peasants, perhaps we are richer in their country. But it’s all relative, my friends.

Mostly, constantly feeling like I’m getting ripped off by nice people who think I’m rich leads for a very dramatic existence in Guatemala. All I want is to see this place, enjoy life, and be able to house and feed myself. Is that so much to ask? But several times a week, I have confrontations. Confrontations and repeat conversations.

I have confrontations about money: getting overcharged for services, haggling for a better price, and monetary demands from street kids. Repetative conversations seem the norm: gas is so expensive, but I’m undercharging her, but… but… but. Arguments trying to get a fair price, not the gringa price, take a lot of guts. Only once has someone said the truth, “well, you’re charged more because you’re white. You’re charged more because you’re not from here.” There’s one honest soul in this country, and he’s boatman in Panajachel (just kidding, there's lots of honest people).

What does it take people to get a fair price!? Oh, let me give you some scenarios.

  1. Taxi Drivers in Guatemala City

Nancy: How much is it to go to Zona 15, Vista Hermosa 1? (about 5 miles – should be Q40)

Taxi Driver: Oooooh, Q70.

Nancy: What?!

Taxi Driver: Q70.

Nancy: Why so much? It should be Q40.

Taxi Driver: Ooooh, but gas is soooooooo expensive these days. It costs sooooo much to drive around and Vista Hermosa is soooooo faaaaar away.

Nancy: It takes 10 minutes to get there. Q40.

Taxi Driver: No, seño, I can’t drive for that little. It is so expensive to get there. You can’t expect me to accept less than Q60.

Nancy: The last taxi driver took me for Q40.

Taxi Driver: Fine, fine, Q55. It’s just that gas is soooooo expensive. Look, it’s over Q24 a gallon. That’s sooooo much money. And Vista Hermosa is soooo far away.

Nancy: Q50.

Taxi driver: Q55.

Nancy: Q50.

Taxi driver: Fine, Q50. But, gas is so expensive these days. Look, it’s over Q24 a gallon. And Vista Hermosa is soooo far away.

By this time I’m trying not to roll my eyes and be annoyed at how expensive everything is in Guatemala City. The taxi drivers really like to talk about how expensive gas is when they see I’m white and I’m going to an exclusive part of town. The real reason for the price inflation is I’m white and a foreigner and obviously have money.

  1. Trama: the Women’s Weaving Cooperative.

Nancy: It says here in your brochure that a scarf takes about 10 hours to make and costs Q325. Why are you charging me more?

Doña Aurelia: Well, we charge by the hour and you used more than 10 hours to finish your project.

Nancy: But, after the loom was set up, I did all the work myself. Why are you charging me for work I did myself? Why don’t have a set price for projects?

Doña Aurelia: Hm, that’s a good point. I’ll tell Doña Amparo. You don’t have to pay the full amount. It’s okay.

Nancy: [confused at this negotiation] Okay, but I still want to give you a fair exchange.

Doña Aurelia: It’s okay.

[enter Doña Amparo]

Doña Amparo: Aiiiiiii, chica, how did your scarf turn out? Aiiiii, chica, it’s so pretty.

Doña Aurelia: We were just talking about how the price in the brochure and the cost of the scarf didn’t match and I said it was okay that she pays less because she says we didn’t help her and she did it all herself.

Nancy: What I said was that the prices don’t match, that it makes more sense to have a price per project that covers expenses and original labor, and that after the loom is set up I did the work myself.

Doña Amparo: Aiiii, chica, you’re right, we should have something in the brochure that says extra hours will be charged.

Nancy: That’s a great idea.

Doña Amparo: Aiii, chica, it’s just that we are supporting 400 women with this cooperative. We don’t even get a salary because all the money goes to the women. The money from the weaving classes goes to pay for paper, rent, staples and supplies. We have to have volunteers because we don’t even get paid. Aiii, chica, we have to make little projects ourselves in order to make a living. Aiii, chica, life is so hard. We’re supporting 400 women with this cooperative….

At this point Doña Amparo starts sounding like adults in Peanuts “waaaah wah wah wah wah.”

Nancy: I know, that’s why I decided to learn to weave here. But, the prices don’t match with what you’re charging.

Doña Amparo: Aiiii, chica, it’s true. Aiii, it’s just that some people weave in less time and we can’t charge them more when they work less time. Aiii, chica, life is so hard. We are supporting 400 women with this cooperative. We don’t even get a salary. Aiii, chica.

Doña Aurelia: She said it took longer because she didn’t make a scarf but a table runner since there are no spaces in the weaving.

Nancy: No, I said that the price in the brochure and the price you’re charging me don’t match and is too expensive for something I made myself.

Doña Amparo: Aiiiiiii, chica. Aiii, it’s just that some people weave in less time and we can’t charge them more when they work less time. Aiii, chica, life is so hard. We are supporting 400 women with this cooperative. We don’t even get a salary. Aiii, chica.

After twenty minutes of this repetitive conversation, I bought a cosmetic case in order to appease them and left, feeling less ripped off but still ripped off since I had left the same amount of money in the store as they were going to charge me in the first place.

The real reason for this price gauging is I’m white and a foreigner and obviously have money.

  1. The Rent for One Week at Esperanza’s House

Nancy: Esperanza, I’m leaving today, how much do you want me to give you for rent? I stayed here one week this week and two nights last week.

Esperanza: I’ll think about it.

Nancy: Okay.

[several hours later]

Esperanza: I decided to charge you Q150 for last week and Q350 for this week.

Nancy: But you charge Bridgette Q300 a week.

Esperanza: Yes, but when she came I decided to charge her less than the language students. Language students have to pay Q350 a week.

Nancy: But why are you charging me more than Bridgette? I’m not a language student. Can’t you charge me Q300?

Esperanza: Aiiiii, but I should be charging her Q350.

Nancy: But you’re charging her Q300.

Esperanza: Okay, Q300 for you too. But just because you’re one of my girls. Just for you and Bridgette, okay? I hope you send other students to me. You know I have such a good home here. Aiiiii, the gas is so expensive these days. It costs so much to buy gas and food and the gas is so expensive. Aiiiii, it costs soo much money.

Nancy: So Q300 for this week then? I’ll give it to you later.

Bridgette: How much is she charging you?

Nancy: Q150 for last week and Q300 for this week.

Bridgette: What?! I paid Q100 for last week and we were here for the same amount of time. That’s what Tania paid too. And she charged me too much for last week.

Craig: What is she charging you?

Nancy: Q150 for last week and Q300 for this week.

Craig: That’s not right. I pay Q350 a week and you were just here for two nights last week. You should only have to pay Q100 because Q350 divided by 7 is Q50 per day.

Nancy: You’re right! I was only here two days so it should only be Q100.

Craig: She’s probably trying to get more out of you because we’re all leaving and there won’t be more income for awhile.

Nancy: Esperanza, I’m confused. You are charging me Q150 for two nights last week but you only charged Bridgette Q100. Plus, the language students pay Q350 a week. Q350 divided by 7 is Q50 per day, which means I should only have to give you Q100.

Esperanza: Oh, but I charge Bridgette less per week. And I realized after I told her that I had asked for the wrong amount. I asked for too little from last week.

Nancy: Esperanza, the language students pay Q350 a week. Q350 divided by 7 is Q50 per day, which means I should only have to give you Q100 for last week.

Esperanza: Oh, but I charge Bridgette less per week. And I realized after I told her that I had asked for the wrong amount. I asked for too little from last week.

Nancy: Okay, Esperanza, I’ll give you Q400 total for this week and last week.

Esperanza: It’s okay because you’re one of my girls and I hope you will send language students to me and gas is so expensive these days. Aiii, it costs sooo much.

The real answer to this price inflation is Esperanza was loosing three renters in short time, was worried about money, and decided to price gauge me because I’m white, a foreigner, and obviously have money.


It’s hard for there not to be a constant feeling of getting screwed over with these kinds of confrontations. I swear, if I hear one more comment about gas prices I’m going to scream. This is what I get for being forward about everything.

2 comments:

Matto said...

I had a similar experience in Thailand - I got so sick of it too.

mabinogi said...

I know it's frustrating, but this post made me laugh out loud.