Friday, January 4, 2008

Six Months

For the first time in Guatemala I had friends around. Friends who truly care about me, love me, and nourish me. For the first time in six months, I explored Guatemala joyously with the companionship of Bridgette, Hanne, and Pibs at my side. The wonders of Guatemala opened to me as I saw the heavens from Tajumulco and alpine environment around Xela, experienced crashing waves and turtle releases in Monterrico, learned everything there was to learn about coffee production, and laughed at street venders and snack eaters. Guatemala became something less serious and more joyous during December. It was a time where I met beautiful and inspirational people, savored and learned to make rich hot chocolate, and saw through the frustrations to the humor of this foreign country.

Friends made all the difference. Having someone to talk to and share with, experience and wonder with, and inspire me to explore Guatemala’s beauty made this time abroad blossom for me. All I needed was the support of people to get me to find a better place in this foreign land.

Thank God for Pibs with his words of inspiration and support, for Hanne who got me out there, and for Bridgette’s calming and cheerful presence. They saved December and Guatemala for me. Hanne got me mountain climbing and traveling again. Pibs said I’m doing all right and making good decisions. Bridgette helped root me again in the spirit of home-finding in a foreign country. Their support has been invaluable and I thank them forever for helping me find the joy in the tension, the rush of traveling 100 miles at 25 miles an hour, and humor in the insanity of Guatemala.

Then I went home. I went home to the warm embraces of family for Christmas. I nearly cried when I set my feet on the homeland again. There was New York City’s skyline, the one city I’d consider living in. There was Dan waiting to show me around his new home. Getting off the bus in Denville, I was united with one of my most sacred places. There was my aunt, uncle, and cousins making jokes, finding treats to eat at the Viking Bakery, and always ready to walk around Cedar Lake. There was my Grandma always ready with a hug and stories and my Grandpa ready with a joke and Snickers in the top drawer of his desk. My parent’s came: Mom working on a puzzle like every Christmas and Dad back to exploring his childhood home. Marie and Jack were there with their humor and calm sense of selves. Everyone was there, my whole family.

Even though the Christmas traditions were different from Iowa, the sense of home, safety, and comfort filled me with the spirit of the season and spirit of love. I was loved and I loved in return. I understood the culture, the nuances, the language. The warmth of 33 Cedar Lake West filled me as it always does with the joy and beauty of having a sense of place, a sacred place, that revolves around home, family, humor, seriousness, and love. The most wonderful Christmas miracle was being home with my family.

This December blessed me with family and friends. They saved Guatemala for me. They made this six month priceless, unforgettable, and reviving. I thank you, friends and family, forever.

3 comments:

Mike Salchert said...

Yeah, I don't think I really appreciated 'home' until I got back from Chile. Likewise I don't think I really appreciated Chile until I got back home. Strange but cool none the less.

Marion said...

Thank you for your insights and love.

Nancy said...

I agree completely, Mike. It's funny how being in strange places makes home more significant and being home makes the other place missed so much more.