Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Seven Months

This month:
  1. I finished my research in Tikal. That felt really good.
  2. I said goodbye to Tikal. People were sad and I was glad to be done.
  3. I hiked the Cuchumatanes Mountains, the tallest non-volcanic mountains in Central America, at a break-neck speed because of the guide. That messed up my Achilles tendons, which did not feel good.
  4. I experienced the small step revolution (more on that later). That was revolutionizing.
  5. I summitted La Torre (3837 m), the tallest non-volcanic point in Central America. That was exhausting.
  6. I met lots of cool people in Tikal and Xela. That was invigorating.
  7. I decided not to volunteer with Quetzaltrekkers in order to return to the USA. That was bitter-sweet.
  8. I entered data and transcribed interviews. That was an accomplishment.
  9. I felt good about Guatemala while in Xela. It's such a cool place. That was good.
  10. I finally discovered the Menonite bakery in Xela. That was like being in the USA with all the doughnuts, cookies, cinnamon rolls, and whoopie pies. MMMMMMM.
  11. I knit a hat. That was relaxing.
  12. I sat in chujs/temascals/Mayan saunas. That was refreshing.
  13. I learned to weave. That has yet to be judged.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, you´re done with your data collection! That is great, congratulations! Talking about knitting...I´m still working on the hat I started knitting in Idaho, or probably not so much working on it since it isn´t done yet :-/ And I haven´t started my research yet either so now you are way ahead of me. I´ll work on it one day, in the meantime I´ll enjoy my time at home with the little kiddo :-)
Love reading your posts!
Hugs and kisses from Iceland,
Árdís