Thursday, November 8, 2007

November

November whooshed into Guatemala in extremes. Overnight from October 31 to November 1 everything changed. November came in like a lion with cool, brisk breezes that pulled little boys kites high into the air. In two days I went from short sleeves to long johns as the warm air of the previous nights was replaced by cold seemingly arctic air (probably 50 and 60 degrees). All of a sudden September and October’s sad persistent grey clouds that indicate rainstorms were pushed away, leaving clear bright blue skies and smiling sun overhead. Golden rays of light replaced the fierce direct sunbeams of July and August. There has been no oppressive humidity like that that made my hair curl and armpits sweat as soon as I step outside in the capital. Now, it’s just refreshing light air to match the sun rays, blue sky, and wispy clouds overhead.

Everywhere flowers are blooming red, magenta, orange, and yellow. They are in the trees, on the bushes, hidden in the grasses. They smile out at me as if exclaiming the joy of life. High in neighborhood trees hang heavy branches of yellow-green Valencia oranges. I can taste their sweet juice when I close my eyes. The coffee beans are ripening on the bushes outside. In the countryside the tall corn stalks hang heavy with cobs. It’s like rebirth here in November. All the heavy oppression is gone with the breeze that blows through the trees, rustles branches, and sends the occasional orange to the ground.

November’s combination of air, light, flowers, and colors has transformed this country. It is beautiful.

2 comments:

Marion said...

"Autumn" everywhere is so pleasant. Great descriptions. Can I see some raw coffee beans?

AliCat said...

RE: CROCHETED LIFE AQUATIC HAT
Hi Nancy.
I saw your post about the crocheted Life Aquatic hat. I have a friend (male) who would love this hat and I don't know how to knit (yet).
I would love any direction you could give me about where to find a crochet pattern.
Thanks.