Friday, August 17, 2007

Diamonds in the Rough

This morning I woke with a ping in my chest. It reminded me of John Denver’s song, “Some days are diamonds (Some days are stone).” I felt like this morning was sure to be a stone. But I got up, ate a breakfast of fresh fruit, yogurt, and granola, and trundled up to the gym. I reminded myself that the gym always makes me feel good and refreshed. As I walked, I noted the refreshing cool morning air, free of Guatemala City’s typical smog and humidity. It had rained the night before and puddles lay on the stairs of the pedestrian walk. I tiptoed around the pools of water in the concrete crosswalk and looked westward towards the mountains.

An incredible view filled my eyes. Volcán de Agua was completely unveiled this morning. The fickle protector and destroyer of Antigua, Guatemala, shown in its deep blue-purple mystery as it graced the morning with its presence. The volcano’s neighboring conical mountains also peaked out from a low shroud of clouds to the north of Agua. My eyes widened to behold this gorgeous, perfect volcano. I wondered at its shape and unspoken power. The volcano held me in awe as a little wig of white cloud latched itself around the summit.

A little skip to my step, I hurried down the metal stairs, noting that the coffee lady was wrapping up her sales for the day; I was late to the gym. Near the gym, the flower vendor was carefully examining his Birds of Paradise, roses, and sunflowers. The sight of the flowers’ brilliant colors warmed my eyes. As I entered the yard, I stopped to talk briefly with the guard. As always, he smiled at me, and I enlightened him to the volcano’s beauty. Finally, I said, “you know, I’ve stopped to talk to you every day for the last three weeks, but I’ve never asked your name.” He informed me it was Rigoberto and I told him my name. We’re becoming friends, Rigoberto and I. He always looks out for my arrival and I always stop to say hi.

The gym made me feel better as always. I focused on pushing myself through the exercises before retiring to do my 200 sit ups and other callisthenic exercises. On the way out, I wished Rigoberto a happy weekend, and trundled off to buy a phone card. Lucky me! It was a 2 for 1 Tigo day and Brian’s in Lander for the weekend!

On the way home, a woman I met weeks ago in Rotary reintroduced herself as Burga and introduced me to her Westie. She lives in the same neighborhood as I and always walks her dog when I walk to the gym. I continued my well worn path down my pot-holed street. The gardeners were all out, trimming bushes, mowing lawns, and raking grass cuttings. By my favorite garden, where brilliant yellow and orange iris-like flowers bloom, the gardener was working. I told him I love looking at his flowers and he cut three bunches for me to take home. Walking down the street, with my delicate and beautiful yellow flowers, I could feel this morning turning into a diamond. It’s true some days are stones and others are diamonds, but more often I feel the days are diamonds in the rough. They appear dirty, raw, and hard on the surface, but each day small gifts turn the events towards a well-disguised diamond shining just enough to raise my attention.

3 comments:

gr8ern8er said...

First of all, I am glad that you had a diamond day!! But, second - why do you know any John Denver song???!?! : )
Remember when we went to the gym sometimes to run on the tread-mills and talk about life!? Well, I am glad to see that you are still exercising. I am more impressed by your 200 sit-ups though!!!

Nancy said...

I'm pretty impressed by my 200 sit-ups too :P. How's the ankle healing?

Anonymous said...

Nancy, I love your sharing how the rough days can become diamond days! I think it's awesome you know John Denver songs!! I think he'll go down as a classic; he wrote some beautiful lyrics and music. Way to go heading to the gym!! Keep writing; you're good!