Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Dementors Strike Guate City


Dementors (Dementewhatzits?) are surely hovering around Vista Hermosa today. I can feel it as my mood persists in a grumpy state. I note the dull stillness of the people around me. Dementors are here; I can feel them.

Hurricane Dean swept across the Yucatán Peninsula in the early hours of today. Larger than the entire peninsula, diagrams showed its long, cyclonic fingers extending across Central America, including much of Guatemala.

I woke to a grey, still morning in Guate City. Rubbing the sleepy seeds from my eyes, I turned on the news to see reports on Dean. It had indeed struck Belize and Mexico as images of violent ocean, abandoned streets, and wind-whipped palm trees filled the screen. Satisfied it was not the apocalypse, I turned off the tube and returned to work. I had not yet noticed the depressing, Dementor-filled air.

Clouds banked in as the day progressed. When Rodrigo dropped me off after the Rotary meeting, he commented, “Here come the hurricane’s effects.” It was grey, dreary, and drizzling. In the afternoon I did my daily pilgrimage to Curves. Leaving the house, a cold wind whipped my hair and bit my cheeks. It threatened to rain, but instead only the wind whistled in the streets. Even with the wind, it was eerily still and silent on normally-bustling Vista Hermosa Boulevard. The guards of the wizard-prison, Azkaban, had surely left their posts.

I did my exercises and left the building to be greeted by a sullen grey mist. The sky was dark from the heavy layers of clouds resting over the city. What a contrast from yesterday’s gorgeous sky! Quickly, I hurried down the street, anxious to avoid being caught in a rainstorm. Muffled noises from cars filled the air. The sounds were less acute from everyday as they had to break through the mist to be heard.

It was more than enough stillness, dreariness, and depression for me. These after-effects of the hurricane wouldn’t stop me! I stopped at Pops and ordered a vanilla-caramel ice cream cone. It’s Brian’s birthday after all! As I hurried down my cold street slurping the sugary ice cream, I realized that since Dementors are on the loose, I probably should have ordered a chocolate ice cream. Or maybe I should just guard my soul, keep my mouth shut, and think happy thoughts. That gets them every time. Ha.

1 comment:

Marion said...

Nancy: I am finally getting caught up and figuring how to log on. Not too dense. Wow! Dementors indeed! Now, here is my story of why I didn't realize Guatemala was anywhere near the hurricane. First, you know that I know weather and I know something about geography. So, the density of my thinking is quite astounding.
Guatemala is directly south of Chicago, which is mainland Midwest. We don't have hurricanes here and only rarely experience the outflow of really large ones coming up the Mississippi River Valley - like Katrina and Rita a few years back.
Then, too, I heard that Hurricane Dean was around Jamaica, which, everyone knows, is in the Caribbean Sea. So, my mind (or lack of) thought, "the Midwest is very far from the Caribbean, and we don't get serious hurricane stuff here - just nasty tornadoes like just swept through Chicago."
Then, Nancy calls to see if I called her to make sure she was OK. I said casually, "No. Why?" then as she told some of these things like in her blog, I hopped on my special NOAA weather sites as we "Skyped" and about jumped out of my skin! My daughter is in hurricane land! Yikes, it is over the Yucatan! Double yipes, she is on the back side of the hurricane! (Fortunately, that part was over land and diminishing fast.) So, how can a college-educated, weather geek and geography buff be so dense?? Let's chalk it up to beginning school in the dog days of summer, August doldrums. A stupid time to pretend it is fall, if ever there was one. that
s my story. MJP