Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama Inauguration

The Kenworthy Theater proudly displayed their latest showing: The Obama Inauguration, Tuesday, 8 AM, FREE. At 8:00 their theater lights flashed on, blinking in excitement and hope as scores of people filed into the theater and took their seats.

It was soon standing room only as people reverently watched the pre-inauguration festivities coming in live from Washington. At 9:00 all listened intently as Aretha Franklin sang. My body went up in shivers and tears of joy filled my eyes. A new dawn for our nation. After Biden was sworn in, we all cheered. Then, the beautiful music honoring simplicity and enunciating hope created a calming, joyous entrance for the swearing in of our 44th president.

In Moscow, Idaho, when the announcer asked everyone in D.C. to please stand for our new president, we rose as one and honored President Obama. Tears streamed down my eyes as I watched Obama get sworn into office. We cheered and clapped in joyful abandon, thundering our praise all the way to Washington.

Obama's speech filled me with hope, justice, balance, and inspiration. I have never been more proud of our nation, never felt as groundedly American in my life. This was a moment where I felt connected to our nation as we stood in face of difficulties and spread the words love, hope, bravery, justice, peace from sea to shining sea and around the world. What elation! What spirit! What hope in ourselves to see a better day and brighter future!

We stood in unison and sang the national anthem. All of us in Moscow echoing the sounds coming from Moscow. We stand with you! I covered my heart and sang our anthem, feeling my blessings, prayers, love, and hope spread from me around the room, and all the way to Washington D.C.

My love and hope has never been greater for our great nation and I pray that we may stand strong with love, bravery, and joy in our hearts to meet the new era.

2 comments:

Marion said...

Thank you, Nancy. "The power of one...." Indeed. Eloquently written.

Anonymous said...

I love your writing Nancy...it feels like I was joining you at the Kenworthy!

Congratulations with your new president. People all over the world have great belief in him and hopes for a better world!

Best regards from Iceland,
Árdís