Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I Know This Is Good for Me

"Okay, all you do is edge your front leg forward, your back leg backward, until you can put you back leg on the ground. You can use a brick for support. Then, brace your body and lift up. Ta dah! You're in the splits. Your turn, chop chop!" said Erika enthusiastically at our 7:00 am yoga practice.

I edged my body into this awkward leg opener exercise. "Okay, I edge my front leg forward, my back leg backward and ta dah! God, this hurts!" I thought to myself. Edge the legs apart, Nancy! The splits are good for you!

But, man, I've never been one for ballet, and this was one stereotypical ballet move. I imagined myself graceful, elegant, preparing to dance the "Nutcracker," being a piece of elastic, being water in a river. "I am fluid. I am elastic. I can do the splits. I KNOW THIS IS GOOD FOR ME!

"Okay, now do it three times each side at your own pace," called Erika's voice. Was she serious? Three more times on each side!? My legs already felt like they were about to snap off. But, low and behold, after three more times on each side, my legs did feel elastic, rubbery, like water in a river. And, I could do Dog pose with my heels down. Huh, it must have been good for me after all.