Sunday, December 2, 2007

Five Months

Another month is done here in Guatemala. This month has led me to thinking about how time ebbs and flows, how it seems to change me as much as the light changes every day.

Beautiful long shadows, clear skies, and golden light characterized this month. I loved watching shadows elongate and land features illuminate with the near-winter light. In Tikal, the temples glowed golden-red by four in the afternoon. I wished I had my camera, but as Brian said, nothing can really capture the power of those buildings.

My heart filled with the sight of one of my best friends, getting to know her dad, and meeting invigorating and inspiring people in Tikal.

Here are the ebbs and flows, comings and goings, successes and hardships of this month:

  1. Brian left, closing that happy chapter in Guatemala, but opening a new chapter for him in Patagonia, Chile.
  2. I took advantage of the closing semester and traveled to Atitlan, Tikal, and Antigua.
  3. The semester finished finally. No more school in Guatemala for me!! I made a vow in Ecuador never to take classes at a foreign university again. I broke that promise here, but I’m back to reinstating it! Nancy, NO MORE class for you!
  4. We exchange students bonded, just before the other two left. Their time in Guatemala is done, but exploring how Guatemala has changed them is just beginning. They expressed their own love/hate relationship with Guatemala.
  5. I realized going to Café Barista several times a week is worth the money just so that I’m out of the house.
  6. Hanne and Pibs came to see me. We hiked an active volcano and hung out in Tikal.
  7. I decided to grab the brass ring.
  8. Spanish interviews now total 31. English interviews are at 40. I’m done!
  9. It rained so much in Peten that Hanne asked if my hands and feet grew webs. They probably should have, but with my trusty raincoat and pack cover I survived.
  10. My lungs are protesting the heavy layer of pollution in the city. I always cover my mouth when I go outside and people look at me like I’m nuts. I don’t want to say when I go back, “I’ve got the black lung, pop!” (Zoolander)
  11. I realized I’m not the only one who feels tension in Guatemala. I met a young woman in Tikal who lived by the Lake who said, as I have said countless times, “I was just over it. I always felt so much tension and thought at any moment someone would just start shooting. I left two months early.” My jaw dropped. That is exactly how I feel.
  12. This same young lady and I also shared the feeling that Peten is an infinitely happier and safer-feeling place than southern Guatemala.
  13. In Peten men asked every day if I was going to get married when I go back to the States. Women stated that I would find a Guatemalan, get married, and stay here. I shook my head violently and generally exclaim (at least in my head), “HELL no!”
  14. I felt included by Guatemalans (in Peten, of course) in social activities and didn't feel like I was invited out of politeness.
  15. I still have to hold my breath when I walk by security guards with their huge guns.
  16. I threw up for the first time in three years. That was fun. Nothing like food poisoning to make your day.
  17. Hanne showed me where the US embassy building is. I finally know where to go. It’s on Avenida Reforma and looks like a tank.
  18. I’m curious about how this tense and lonely experience in Guatemala has changed me. It’s going to be a trip for the next few months.
  19. At five months, I’m on the downward slope. The count down continues.
  20. I’m going home for Christmas in 19 days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you like Lake Atitlan? Was it as beautiful as everyone days?

Nancy said...

It's really pretty and worth the trip. Are you traveling in Guatemala? Santiago Atitlan is a good place for handicrafts, Panajachel for starting point and hanging, San Pedro for chill hippy atmosphere, and San Juan for a more traditional tzutujil culture.